Lagos | Fulltime
Big Cabal Media is seeking a graphic designer — a creative visual storyteller who will work closely with a fast-paced creative content team as we shape and evolve our visual style. This person will be responsible for creating and executing innovative ideas in storytelling that are design-driven and platform-specific. The ideal candidate will think about storytelling and content from a visual perspective, and be prepared to conceive, edit and execute in terms of photographs, charts/graphs/infographics, memes, video, stickers, flyers, merchandise and more. They will have a nose for news, trends and pop culture, excellent taste, as well as real interest in BCM’s media brands, and can work out of our Lagos office.
- Enhancing the development of BCM’s visual branding elements and standards.
- Following market visual trends and contributing design-based ideas and new approaches to storytelling.
- Working closely with the content team and editors to strategize and create platform-specific visuals across stills and video.
- Editing photographic images, including retouching and manipulation.
- Applying a keen understanding of digital brands and platforms to make decisions that will maximize the effectiveness of creative assets.
- At least two years of relevant experience producing visual assets across a variety of digital platforms.
- A strong understanding of what visuals work on various social media platforms and why.
- Mastery of Adobe Creative Suite for retouching, color correcting, and design.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Thrives in collaborative environments.
- Extremely organized, with the ability to multi-task efficiently.
- A strong interest in what Big Cabal Media brands make
Working at Big Cabal Media
Big Cabal Media is a company creating a new generation of media brands for a new generation of Africans. Since 2014, we’ve launched TechCabal, Radar, its companion forum, and Zikoko.com. We also launched the non-profit site Ebolafacts.com, which was instrumental in the fight against Ebola. Our work has been featured in the Economist, the Financial Times and Bloomberg BusinessWeek.
You’ll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that’s challenging and fun—and who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
We’re a very digital company - all our communications are in Slack. We use Google Docs for practically everything and don’t like meetings. Some of our team works remotely. We typically try to arrange work between 9am and 6pm WAT and encourage you to have a good work-life balance, but we don’t have a stick up our butt about hours. What we do have a stick up our butt about is quality and results. Our people get things done fast and well.
While collaborative work will be the norm and is the requirement, people who want to work at BCM must also demonstrate initiative and the ability to work without creating more work for their supervisor.
We encourage candidates of all experience levels to apply. If the above doesn’t describe you perfectly, please get in touch anyway and tell us why you want to work with us.
Compensation and perks
- Industry competitive salary
- 20 days annual leave
- Statutory pension contribution
- Flexible working arrangements
- Access to cool events and travel
How to apply
Please apply here. The application form will require you to insert links to your design portfolio as well as a cover letter and resume, which you might host on Google Drive, Dropbox, or other file-sharing service.