Anywhere | Fulltime
Are you passionate about the world of startups, internet, technology and venture capital around Africa? Smart enough to help predict which emerging trends will flourish and which will fade (using data and not your gut)? Eloquent enough to package this into readable and understandable research content? If yes, keep reading.
- Write data-driven research and reports that combine our proprietary data with outside data sets to identify key trends and analyze the trends in Africa’s technology and startup ecosystem.
- Handling the research calendar for the publication
- Assist with custom client-directed research
- Understand and develop forward-looking analyses and insights for key market sectors in African technology.
- Develop and give client and prospective client presentations to discuss market trends in African technology
- Support PR requests with data and category knowledge
- Writing experience a requirement – can be within the fields of market research, journalism, or consulting in retail, technology, or related area
- You should be passionate and knowledgeable about technology and related disciplines such as venture capital and M&A
- Comfort in private and public markets including public company financial metrics/ratios
- Ability to synthesize data and develop meaningful conclusions and predictive insights
- Strong communication/presentation skills and leadership abilities. You should feel comfortable speaking to clients/prospects as an authority on the business and the category
- Ability to multi-task and handle the details while keeping an eye on the big picture
- Strong MS Excel and Powerpoint skills; and/or data visualization tool of your choice
- BA/BS required; relevant graduate degrees a plus
Working at Big Cabal Media
Big Cabal Media is a company creating a new generation of media brands for a new generation of Africans. Since 2014, we’ve launched TechCabal, Radar, its companion forum, and Zikoko.com. We also launched the non-profit site Ebolafacts.com, which was instrumental in the fight against Ebola. Our work has been featured in the Economist, the Financial Times and Bloomberg BusinessWeek.
You’ll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that’s challenging and fun—and who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
We’re a very digital company - all our communications are in Slack. We use Google Docs for practically everything and don’t like meetings. Some of our team works remotely. We typically try to arrange work between 9am and 6pm WAT and encourage you to have a good work-life balance, but we don’t have a stick up our butt about hours. What we do have a stick up our butt about is quality and results. Our people get things done fast and well.
While collaborative work will be the norm and is the requirement, people who want to work at BCM must also demonstrate initiative and the ability to work without creating more work for their supervisor.
We encourage candidates of all experience levels to apply. If the above doesn’t describe you perfectly, please get in touch anyway and tell us why you want to work with us.
Compensation and perks
- Industry competitive salary
- 20 days annual leave
- Statutory pension contribution
- Flexible working arrangements
- Access to cool events and travel
- Instant tech ecosystem celebrity
How to apply
Please apply here. The application form will require you to insert links to at least two writing samples as well as a cover letter and resume, which you might host on Google Drive, Dropbox, or other file-sharing service.