Lagos | Fulltime
Do you like to make content that informs, educates, entertains, but above all, makes people happy?
The ideal candidate may have no experience, but what they do have are a very particular set of skills. They are ‘plugged’ to the internet and consistently feel its social media pulse. They know how to inject themselves into the narrative and weave content that enters into the flow seamlessly. They prefer (and actually insist on) working with minimal supervision and laugh boisterously in the face of deadlines - because they are always on time. They take personal pride in their work and will never create anything they or their team are embarrassed by. At least not deliberately, because they are also not afraid to shoot their shot.
- Responsibility for Zikoko’s social media presence and content, especially on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat.
- Create original and native social media content for Zikoko’s social media presences
- Curate content from around the internet
- Design and execute activities to engage Zikoko’s community
- Work with the creative and production teams to make original multimedia content for Zikoko and advertising clients.
- Witty, funny, and quick on feet
- Can find content on the internet and knows where all the bodies are buried
- Good English and grammar
- Can speak GIF and emoji
- Experience creating content for the web and social media
- Writing, design, cinematography and other creative skills are a plus
Working at Big Cabal Media
Big Cabal Media is a company creating a new generation of media brands for a new generation of Africans. Since 2014, we’ve launched TechCabal, Radar, its companion forum, and Zikoko.com. We also launched the non-profit site Ebolafacts.com, which was instrumental in the fight against Ebola. Our work has been featured in the Economist, the Financial Times and Bloomberg BusinessWeek.
You’ll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that’s challenging and fun—and who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
We’re a very digital company - all our communications are in Slack. We use Google Docs for practically everything and don’t like meetings. Some of our team works remotely. We typically try to arrange work between 9am and 6pm WAT and encourage you to have a good work-life balance, but we don’t have a stick up our butt about hours. What we do have a stick up our butt about is quality and results. Our people get things done fast and well.
While collaborative work will be the norm and is the requirement, people who want to work at BCM must also demonstrate initiative and the ability to work without creating more work for their supervisor.
We encourage candidates of all experience levels to apply. If the above doesn’t describe you perfectly, please get in touch anyway and tell us why you want to work with us.
Compensation and perks
- Industry competitive salary
- 20 days annual leave
- Statutory pension contribution
- Flexible working arrangements
- Access to cool events and travel
- (Near) Instant internet celebrity
How to apply
Please apply here. The application form will require you to insert links to whatever you consider your creative portfolio (optional) as well as a cover letter and resume, which you might host on Google Drive, Dropbox, or other file-sharing service.