Y'all are building bots, right?

I agree with your points especially the 2 above. This is why I’ve said that machine learning needs learning of the right dataset to be effective. Which invariably means there’s an inherent advantage for a Nigerian founder.

Talking about the logistics issues and challenges, it’s clear that this is where the real work will happen. But I think it’s actually more of a business model question before working out the logistics of implementing it. For instance, let’s assume the bot technology was built (which caters to the unique lingo and language attributes of Nigerians). Then the following could be likely approaches;

1. Man-in-the- middle/affiliate: Where the bot sources the best deals and the purchase is directly between customer and ecommerce store. Eg Kemi wants a bag and not checks 10 stores to find her Gucci in Jumia. Kemi is happy she’s gotten a good bargain, pays Jumia and they ship. Jumia pays you commission.

2. Own the whole relationship: In this case, Kemi pays you. You buy from Jumia and ship to Kemi. It’s assumed that you will do this as able to make more money, than just affiliate fees. Refunds and returns has to go through you.

3. New Konga/Jumia: If you flip this around and will say you have the technology and enough dataset to know what Nigerians are buying. Then perhaps it makes sense to purchase the Gucci bags, and when Kemi needs you sell directly to her.

And @Yinka no one said it will be easy to implement…

Indeed the logistics bit is a function of business model. Option 1 is the easiest for the owner and requires a lot less work on the back-end. Option 2 might not work well in all situations. One issue is the double payment fees. Another is people not wanting to pay extra, you need to justify the extra charge with some special features. Option 3, hmmm, first you need to have grown to a certain size to have that kind of dataset, only to now switch to an inventory based model with its own issues. So you’d be battling with scalability vs profitability.

As for the easy to implement talk. I was just noting that it’s one of those ideas that can look easy on the surface.

Any way, let’s see if any ecommerce company will roll something out soon.

I agree option 1 is the easiest to get out of the door. At least a relatively small team can test the waters on this, especially as Facebook is throwing in a lot of help as well.

But I don’t think option 2 necessary means ‘double payment fees’, because if a startup buys from say Konga, to then resell, then they will likely be purchasing at a discount.

Of course it’s early days yet & I’m sure there will be lots of bots unleashed with absolutely zero value. So too early to tell if it’s going to be worth all the effort. But definitely a potential billion dollar pot of gold, at the end of this road.

There is actually a google bot that checks your gmail for shipment info like konga/jumia deliveries and adds the update to your Google now. I recently saw this when i order an item from jumia and whenever i get an update email concernign the whereabouts of my package, i see it in my Google now

Finally got around to doing this. Used telegram to set up one; http://telegram.me/TechBarbieBot

It doesn’t do much yet. I want it to provide basic tech support, In a non-tech way (tech lingo can sometimes be threatening) especially for females. I’d like a few subscribers so I can build it out proper. You know what to do to join the fun (or not fun).

Cheers.

:disappointed:

@xolubi Hian.

That’s the essence of it does nothing much, YET. :smirk:

Ezra is on a new one; bullying bots now!

Bot Bully lol…

Or is it Bully Bot?

Or just BB…

Sounds like Blackberry, Bot Bully is ok :smirk:

Ahh, I see your point! What about BoBu?

@Freshboi_Ekundayo @ukay @PapaOlabode
Can you imagine if BOTS where to actually reply in the manner you guys just did? :grinning:

I almost thought bots have taken over your accounts! :space_invader:

Lol. Y’all are not serious.

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

hello everyone