Anywhere | Fulltime
We are looking for decisive, informed and opinionated writers that are excited about the internet, innovation, startups, venture capital and the business of technology in Africa to join our editorial team in. As long as they demonstrate expertise, we are happy to employ from anywhere in the world, but right now we are especially keen on writers who are or can be resident in Lagos, Nairobi, Johannesburg and Cape Town, and are able to travel for work.
- Create exceptional, informative and engaging content. Plan the content of publications according to the publication’s style, editorial policy, and publishing requirements
- Suggest stories and generate headline ideas in alignment with targeted audience’s preferences
- Curating news events, engaging investors and founders for potential angles
- Verify facts, dates, and statistics, using standard reference sources
- Oversee layout (artwork, design, photography) and check content for accuracy and errors in order to meet quality and accuracy standards
- Network with others at industry events
- Understand and comply with media law and industry ethical guidelines
- Meet deadlines and budget requirements
- Work across all business units on special projects
- Writing experience - applicants will be required to send in samples of previous work
- Interest in the world of startups, internet, technology and venture capital in Africa and and around the world
- Ability to multitask and work independently
- Solid attention to detail
- Familiarity with cloud applications, especially Google docs and spreadsheets
Working at Big Cabal Media
Big Cabal Media is a company creating a new generation of media brands for a new generation of Africans. Since 2014, we’ve launched TechCabal, Radar, its companion forum, and Zikoko.com. We also launched the non-profit site Ebolafacts.com, which was instrumental in the fight against Ebola. Our work has been featured in the Economist, the Financial Times and Bloomberg BusinessWeek.
You’ll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that’s challenging and fun—and who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
We’re a very digital company - all our communications are in Slack. We use Google Docs for practically everything and don’t like meetings. Some of our team works remotely. We typically try to arrange work between 9am and 6pm WAT and encourage you to have a good work-life balance, but we don’t have a stick up our butt about hours. What we do have a stick up our butt about is quality and results. Our people get things done fast and well.
While collaborative work will be the norm and is the requirement, people who want to work at BCM must also demonstrate initiative and the ability to work without creating more work for their supervisor.
We encourage candidates of all experience levels to apply. If the above doesn’t describe you perfectly, please get in touch anyway and tell us why you want to work with us.
Compensation and perks
- Industry competitive salary
- 20 days annual leave
- Statutory pension contribution
- Flexible working arrangements
- Access to cool events and travel
- Instant tech ecosystem celebrity
How to apply
Please apply here. The application form will require you to insert links to at least two writing samples as well as a cover letter and resume, which you might host on Google Drive, Dropbox, or other file-sharing service.