Scrept- Digital Store for Professionally Designed Templates in MS Word & PowerPoint

Introducing… scrept.com/store

Hello Radarians,

I discovered this platform sometimes around September last year (2017) and since then, it’s been a wonderful experience. Seeing all of the amazing things people here are doing. Reading stories of success and failure from people with firsthand experience, radar has been a great source of learning to me.

I use to think I’m an alien because all of the people around me can’t just figure out what I’m doing, no matter how I try to explain to them. As a Graphic Designer working from a remote location, it was difficult for anyone around me to believe that it’s possible to make a living doing something on the internet. It was when I stumbled upon this forum that I get to realize that there are quite a number of like-minded individuals, doing great things to foster the development of this country.

Now back to the Matter.

Hey! this is cool. Please, can I get it in Microsoft Word?

If you are a Graphic Designer, you probably have had this experience before. In most cases, it is much easier to convince the client about your choice of tool and why it is a bad idea to use Microsoft Word, because, of course, Microsoft Word is a word processing program and not a design tool. Or at best, you could simply use a conversion tool to convert the design from whichever format it is to Microsoft Word. From your end, you’ve solved the problem, but the client is left with a document that is extremely difficult to edit in Microsoft Word because the document was not designed using Microsoft Word formatting system.

This is what actually motivated me to master the art of Graphic Design using Microsoft Word, and just recently, I launched a small project that I’ve been working on for over a year now, scrept.com/store. A digital store for downloading highly professional design templates, (Business Proposals, Company Profiles, Business Plans, Letterhead, CV/Resume, Certificates etc) all of which were hand-crafted in Microsoft Word using MS Word formatting system.

Now this is not a new idea. As we all know, there are hundreds of websites doing a similar thing. Some of which are even available for free.

But here is what I observed

1. Most of those offering free templates have horrible design.

2. Most of the premium ones are only available in Adobe InDesign or Photoshop. And as you already know, the majority of Nigerians don’t know how to use these tools, most don’t even have access to it.

3. Some templates do have Microsoft Word version. The problem here is that the Microsoft Word version is not actually designed using Microsoft Word, they were only converted from InDesign or Photoshop using conversion tools such as adobe pro, thereby making it extremely difficult to edit in Microsoft Word.

4. The templates are pretty expensive because the designer will consider the time he/she took to convert all of these templates into various formats.

5. You end up spending more money due to Naira/Dollar exchange rates.

So what did I do differently?

• Since Microsoft Word is primarily not a design tool, I decided to spend a considerable period of time learning graphic design in Microsoft Word.

• I decided to natively design the templates in Microsoft word from scratch using MS Word formatting system. No conversion tool was used. This means that everything is pretty much customizable. Simply drag and drop objects, shapes, text box, images etc wherever & however you want. No design skill is needed. Change the entire document color/font with a single click. Upload pictures using placeholders (just like in PowerPoint) without them jumping around.

The advantages of designing from scratch in Microsoft Word.

• Everyone can edit/customize the template so long as you know how to use Microsoft Word. It is a do-it-yourself thing and its’ pretty fast. You can always modify the contents, style etc at any given time right within Microsoft Word.

• You don’t need to buy or learn any expensive software such as InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, CorelDRAW etc to edit the templates. All you need is Microsoft Word, which I’m sure you already have it.

• You save a lot of time and cut down on going back and forth doing design revisions with graphic designers.

While Microsoft Word is primarily a word processing program, you will be amazed by how capable it is to produce stunning designs when you dive deep into it.

It should be noted however that all templates from scrept.com are primarily targeted towards Non-Designers. So it only makes sense to use a tool (MS Word) that is very familiar to both designers and non-designers.

So my fellow Radarians, please take a look at my website www.scrept.com/store and tell me what you think. I welcome all feedback. No matter how bitter or sweet. This will make sure I get back to my senses in case I’m going overboard.

Bless!
Panshak

Nicely done.

Will def patronise you when the need arise.

This is a great idea.

Nice work, will recommend the website to friends

These templates look so lovely, well done!

I have a question, if you don’t mind: In the time since you’ve made the templates available, what has customer acquisition looked like? Have you had more success introducing to individual customers by yourself, or do most people just find the templates via your website - and buy?

Thanks very much.

Thanks for this. I really appreciate.

It’s been very challenging. But I’m looking at investing in paid ads. So far I’ve had a decent amount of sales from my Dealdey store.

Nice one. Bookmarked!

Thanks @Kiz

I’m sorry to hear that. Yeah paid ads (maybe on Nairaland, in addition to others?) should help. Maybe also FB ads targeting people in other countries (if your site can accept international card payments). I hope you get good results, and please let us know how it turns out!

@aixen thanks very much for your advice. Will definitely be posting updates here as time goes on.

UPDATE
Scrept store (https://www.scrept.com/store) is now Fleek templates (https://fleektemplates.com). This is to better symbolize our expanding range of design capabilities.

What is new?
It’s Better, Bigger & extremely affordable.

Please I’m happy to welcome any feedback you might have.

Bless!