Olamide Bada, MD of Jumia Food, reporting for duty - Ask Me Anything!

Thanks for your time and questions Radar - it’s been fun!

I’ve set up notifications for this thread so feel free to ask me any more questions on here or on social media @vivalabada. Until next time, folks.

Hi Olamide,

Why can’t one pay in-app for orders? This will really make life much easier for some of us.

Hi @gaphy,

Thanks for your custom and question - I’m asked this one a lot, and understandably so.

Online/in-app payment remains unsolved as we’re looking for a solution that we can roll out across our 11 African countries. We ran a pilot a few months ago and unfortunately had technical issues, so we’re currently working on a better, permanent solution. So sorry for any inconvenience this might’ve caused!

Have you had any issues with the card payment on delivery option? Anything I can look into?

Look forward to your feedback!

Hi Olamide,
Good to have you here. I am a keen follower of the on-demand food delivery space. To the best of my knowledge, the on-demand food delivery model is an imported one from the likes of DoorDash, Postmates, foodpanda, e.t.c. These businesses have been around for a while and raised a ton of dollars too but are yet to reach break-even not to talk of profitability. My only question is this:
Do you think this model is sustainable in Nigeria?

Hi @OT_Oladipo,

Thanks for welcoming me and glad to hear that you’re interested in the food delivery space.

Funny that you mention foodpanda as we’re actually part of this family too - Jumia Food is an offshoot of their product adapted to Africa under the Jumia brand.

To answer your question: yes, I do think that this model is sustainable in Nigeria - if done smartly. Logistics is the main bottle neck on the supply side, and although it will never be 100% solved, Jumia Food has come a long way in providing smart, adaptable solutions to this existential problem.

On the demand side, I do believe that there’s a big opportunity with food delivery - we all love food, Nigerians value convenience in a country where all odds seem to be against ease, and we’re warming up to the idea of e-commerce.

The turnaround of the Hello/Jumia Food business in the year that I’ve been here is testament to the fact that it is a viable product in Nigeria, if done well.

What are your thoughts?

Hello Olamide,

Nice having you on this platform amidst your busy schedule.
I’d like to know how you manage your time esp with making out time for books. Do you read or you do audiobooks?
Secondly, how do you handle returns for food?

Hi @ebuks4ever,

Nice to be here!

I like to think that time management is a superpower of mine. I make every minute of my day count by diarising EVERYTHING and I’m generally quite productive.

On a good week, where I’m in full control, my work week will typically break down as follows:

• Mon - Weds: COO mode, i.e. one-on-ones with each of my department managers, checking progress against KPIs, coaching etc.

• Thurs & Fri: CEO mode, i.e. business development, partnership meetings, events/PR and spending time out on the field with our restaurants.

• Weekends are all mine! Gym, chillaxing and reading. I also read when I’m on my way to and from the office, but I’m not a fan of audiobooks. I used to be really into podcasts, but I find it hard to podcast and read books at the same time, so for now, books win.

In response to your question on food returns, we hardly ever get any. Where our restaurants might (rarely) make a mistake and send the wrong item, we allow the customer to keep this whilst we redeliver the correct meal. Food is something that someone will always find useful lol.

@vivalabada

Good evening. First and foremost I will want to appreciate you for taking out time out of your busy schedule to educate the house. I sincerely apologize that this message is coming months after your interview but I read through the interview and believe you me I was awed and completely thrilled. I hope you will oblige me just this once.

I have always been skeptic about the acceptance of people towards a food delivery service so you can imagine what was going through my mind when I saw u speak about the company and how its success. It then means I must have been wrong all my life. Lol

Here are my questions, kindly clear my doubt

On a scale of 1-10 how can you rate the improvement of your customer base after the re branding of hello foods into Jumia foods
Secondly, in percentage ratio, how can you rate the acceptance of food delivery service by Nigerians using Jumia foods as a baseline
Finally, whats the estimate of orders you get on a daily basis and how do u keep up with the customers influx. Does the company ever run out of dispatch riders?

Thanks once more and hoping to read from you

Good morning @cheen, and many thanks for keeping the house alive months later! Still happy as ever to answer questions!

Interested to hear your scepticism towards the food delivery business model - I’ve heard this a few times before. It seems like something that couldn’t possibly work in the logistical nightmare that is Nigeria, right?

I think we have the right conditions here: people that like food, but don’t like the additional stress and hassle of either going food shopping or going to collect takeaway. Basically, anything that brings you out of your house in Nigeria is to be avoided at all costs, lol. That plus the rise in e-commerce through increased smartphone and data usage makes the perfect storm for Jumia Food.

To answer your questions:

1. How do I rate the improvement (I’ll speak to increase here) of my customer base since rebranding to Jumia Food? 8/10.

2. How do I rate the acceptance of a food delivery service by Nigerians, using Jumia Food as a baseline? 20%, which is exciting because it means that there’s still a lot of ground to cover!

3. How many orders do we get on a daily basis? I can’t tell you how many, but considering our operations across Lagos, Abuja and Port Harcourt - the simple answer is A LOT! I can say that we’ve doubled in size by order numbers in the past 12 months despite the economic environment, which probably speaks to the reason why my answer to #1 was so high.

4. How do I keep up with the influx of customers? Do we ever run out of dispatch riders? We have to do a constant balancing act of anticipating order volume and matching this to rider capacity, which is interesting to say the least. Orders can vary per month due to seasons, new restaurant signings, marketing campaigns etc., but it’s something we’re pretty good at working around. We never run out of dispatch riders, but we do go through phases where we run out of our A* dispatch riders, if you know what I mean, lol.

Thanks for your questions!