IMPROVING PAYMENT ON DELIVERY - REFOND (Release Funds On Delivery)

So basically, Escrow but for delivery.
I actually thought about this and was discussing this idea with my brother. Sadly, no coding knowledge to fire idea to product :’(

A very good and much needed solutions for vendors/merchants

Hey Leslie, With Escrow actual debit happens into a Suspense account but with this, no debit until delivery.

I still see “Pay on Delivery” here…as long as the merchant get paid upon delivery, buyers are still in control of the transaction .

My suggestion is “pay 5% commitment fee and 95% on delivery” which means if you cancel the order for no reason or because you are no longer interested , you get 3% return and pay 2% fee, which covers the cost incurred.

This method reduces cancelled order.

Its a suggestion…not meant to kill your great idea.

So I part with my 2% even if it’s the Marchant that is unable to provide what I ordered for?

The idea can be refined.

That’s how ideas are. They are omnipresent

I agree with your perspective. The current system still puts the buyer in control of everything.

IT’s an interesting suggestion that’s already being considered.

This only works for high value items, but I love the idea. UBER is starting to do it to curb the high rate of cancellations.

@Ogechi_Daniel_Ndukwe … Why should we encourage part payment before delivery in the first instance? If a customer agrees to buy a product on the internet, the primary assumption is that the customer wants the product and has the necessary funds to buy it. However, research has shown that certain emotions trigger online shopping experience. For instance, a customer might be absolutely certain they need a product today but that might not be the same in few days (or even in an hour’s time). This is the primary reason why sometimes we have a high level of returns for products ordered online (regardless of the payment mode).

In addition, prior to 2013/14, the general consensus (in Nigeria) is that we lack convenient payment modes for a good online shopping experience especially for citizens at the other end of the scale. This was the primary driver for POD. However, in 2017, we have solved this problem. We now have more than enough payment platforms to support any type of customer whatever the social economic status. So while your idea seems to be good, it is in actual fact counter-progressive.

Personally, I think there is an element of DISTRUST involved with most e-commerce purchases and I feel this is what we need to address.

@faulkedodo , I don’t mean to undermine your product but in my personal opinion, I feel escrow as a process of payment for e-commerce (product) platforms isn’t progressive and should be discouraged. We need to continually build trust by creating platforms that ease online payments. Banks and e-commerce platforms need to take more responsibilities.

For instance, Banks should provide better customer service by resolving e-commerce related issues amicably with their customers - treating them as number 1 priority (regardless of their social-economical status).

E-commerce should be transparent with products/services and also have insurance coverage that will accommodate logistics related issues. i.e. when a product is not delivered as advertised due to logistics-related problems.

Marketplaces should scrutinise sellers for authenticity and also provide a robust seller/buyer review system for potential buyers.

Ideally, we need Escrow for e-services such as remote gigs and projects where the final products can’t be determined prior to purchase.

Quite thoughtful, this way, both parties would bear a risk.

so, what if the person clears the account at just before deductions… say he transfers the money out of the said account?

The funds are already blocked, so he has no access to the funds immediately order is placed