Impact of .NG on SEO

Is there anyone here on radar that has tried to study the impact of the .NG domain extension on SEO rankings… specifically google…

In my mind , if I am on google.com.ng and I search for a word which has a direct .NG URL associated to it, I had always imagined that such a URL will have quite a high SEO ranking associated with it.

So imagine my surprise when I searched for the following words and I could not find the associated URLs listed as part of the top five results.

Max - >max.ng
Woman ->woman.ng
mumpreneur --> mumpreneur.ng
bloggers -->bloggers.ng

If my observation is correct for most domains, doesn’t this reduce the value of a .NG domain?

Nobody gifts you SEO, you work for it. .ngs might help, but they don’t guarantee you a spot at the top.

This is the best reply in the history of Radar!

You right… I guess my perception about the importance of domain name in SEO rankings wasnt exactly correct…

@easibor using .ng totally destroyed search results for my site. It didn’t show up in the first 10 results and counting! I had to acquire another .com extension from Blue host (Luckily I got it almost free) before my site starting having reasonable search results. It is a huge issue .ng sites don’t realise. If people can’t find you on a google search you’re in a spot of trouble

I disagree, I think it has nothing to do with whether you are .ng or not. Serious work on content and SEO technicalities matters alot.

Based on experience, a .ng domain name has no big hedge but it depends on the work behind it

Google treats all domain (tld) the same. You might want to read this clarification from Google.

Not really.

The problem is that .ng isn’t particularly ‘sacred’. A number of things contribute to the way Google sees country-specific TLD. The whole process is quite cosmetic.

For instance .co is officially for columbia but it was released as an international extension - amidst plenty noise the extension was launched as a substitute for those who missed the .com grab and has since been adopted as a global extension.

On the other hand .fi (Finland) or .se (Sweden) for instance, requires the domain registrants to be local residents (you’ll provide ID and all) and in some cases local business owners. All our .fi domains are kept under proxies we pay yearly to use their ID or business papers. They can get in trouble with the authorities if it’s found out they are only midwives and have no hand in the business running on the domain under their name. It’s attracts a hefty fine.

It’s so with most countries in Europe (especially the Non-English speaking ones) because their local markets alone can fetch you millions in Euros yearly if you can crack the high margin niches.

In those markets Google will pay attention to your extension.

Again, this is coming back to my initial assumptions.

I have always imagined that when you search from google.com.ng or google.ng, you have basically told google that you are more interested in the .ng or .com.ng results … which means that such TLDs should carry more weight. However, I am realizing that is not the case.

But then, I cannot help but wonder, if the .com.ng or .ng doesnt matter, then what value does it bring to the table? Is it just a way of getting that domain you couldnt get as .com ? I say this because most people in Nigeria still defaults to a .com mentality. You will need to tell them its a .Ng before they think .Ng

That would be very wrong.

It would be a very flawed approach if google responded to searches made on Google.ng by returning only results on sites hosted on .ngs and .com.ngs. Very flawed.

To further detail on why the likes of .fi carry SEO weight locally, you need to also understand that all Google.fi competing sites are not in English but in Finnish. Once an English word appears on a webpage that webpage automatically is a competitor for the word or phrase across all English webpages - which numbers in their bullions.

And that dilutes what it should specifically be ranking for, until the weight of that is aggregated across the other pages and the site as a whole; which will carry localized strings like a local name or area, this is why using ‘…In Nigeria’ / ‘in Lagos’ would immediately redefine your search and get you what you’re looking for. So in essence our local sites are also competing globally across all English written sites because they are in English, that is why you’d little locality when you use .ng google extension to search and why you’d need to further filter by adding ‘in Lagos’ / ‘in Nigeria’ string.

Another very important thing you need to also know is that Google is not particularly interested in what going on in Nigeria’s search results - what’s happening on Google.ng is not of major importance on the scale of things. How much does that extension bring them yearly compared to others? Who are our biggest ad spenders and how much do they spend? Compared to other markets, na pocket change. Google is prolly still running outdated search algo on that .ng google extension. -#jk

The truth is visiting google.com.ng or google.ng (which I have not tried before) tells Google you want contents relevant to Nigeria/Nigerians it has very little or nothing to do with the domain extension of websites with the contents.

If the very little exists, then that’s the much you can take home as your advantage for using the .NG extension

So, why is .Ng expensive, since it doesn’t give an edge in anyway and since people still think .com first before .ng?

Your statement above contradicts itself…

If you agree that by visiting google.com.ng or google.ng you have already told google that you are interested in Nigerian results, then you cannot say that the .com.ng or .ng extension carries no weight in their decision matrix.

If google inferred you need Nigerian results just from the URL you visited, then it should know that websites with the .com.ng or .ng extensions have contents that mostly targets Nigerians.

But that doesn’t mean Google should rank you above Nigerian sites with related content other extension(s). In SEO no 1 factor is King. And using .NG doesn’t make your site king of Nigerian contents.

I can’t explain further because my previous post is already clear the way it is.

The idea of Google search result and TLDs are completely different issues. In one part, tld is managed by domain registrars ICANN, that explains why .fi or .se domain extensions required owners to be local residents before owning one.

The impact of your domain name on SEO has been addressed by Google on their blog. https://webmasters.googleblog.com/2015/07/googles-handling-of-new-top-level.html

Key takeaways (excerpts from the official post)

Q: How are the new region or city TLDs (like .london or .bayern) handled?

A: Even if they look region-specific, we will treat them as gTLDs. This is consistent with our handling of regional TLDs like .eu and .asia. There may be exceptions at some point down the line, as we see how they’re used in practice. See our help center for more information on multi-regional and multilingual sites, and set geotargeting in Search Console where relevant.

Q: What about real ccTLDs (country code top-level domains) : will Google favor ccTLDs (like .uk, .ae, etc.) as a local domain for people searching in those countries?

A: By default, most ccTLDs (with exceptions) result in Google using these to geotarget the website; it tells us that the website is probably more relevant in the appropriate country. Again, see our help center for more information on multi-regional and multilingual sites.

In order to rank well for local SEO, here are 4 things I will recommend you implement to improve your website’s visibility for your specific country of choice.

1. Tweak your Google search console.
  2. List your business on Google My Business.
  3. Publish content useful to your local audience.
  4. Use Google Schema.

Read the full post on how to improve your Local SEO