If Zuckerberg achieves "this", what will happen to handheld devices?

To start with, I must commend Mark for his disruptive way of thinking.

Mark’s plan (if he has his way) is to make sure you’ll never have to buy a gadget with a screen again. Augmented reality glasses :eyeglasses: will eliminate the need for screens.

We’ll be using a pair of augmented reality (AR) glasses or even contacts in the future in order to place digital content on top of any surface. At a keynote speech at Facebook’s annual F8 developers conference Tuesday, Zuckerberg said that while the company is kicking off its AR efforts with the smartphone camera and screen, the ultimate goal is to just have one gadget that rules them all.

“We all know where we want this to get eventually,” Zuckerberg said during the keynote. “We all want glasses or eventually contact lenses that look and feel normal but let us overlay all kinds of information and digital objects on top of the real world.”

To be clear, Zuckerberg didn’t come out and say Facebook is building a glasses or contacts right away since the technology is so far off. Facebook isn’t the only company exploring AR glasses either. Apple, Google, Microsoft, Snap and the startup Magic Leap are all focused on developing similar types of products.

But the all have the same goal: to eliminate screens from your life and give you that one gadget to trump the rest.

My concern is. What will happen to handheld devices your cherished iphones and gadgets.

My Thoughts
What I think is such innovations, once deployed, usually take time before general usage and acceptance. So this would first create a sort of digital segregation where some would be without hand-held devices, and others clinging to their beloved hand-held gadgets… to be continued.

What are your thoughts? :slight_smile:

Interesting article, but isnt’t this similar to the google glass 2?

Augmented reality is fine if you really want an augmented reality (e.g. names of buildings/businesses as you walk towards a destination, or location/ID of components when trying take apart some machinery, or automatic translation of text you’re looking at)

I’m not so sure it works as well when you actually want to see the content on your phone (e.g. pictures, messages, forms, games). There’s a place for AR, and a huge market, but it’s not a replacement for screens.

Remember, when they said:

• Tablets will kill Laptops and Notebooks!
  • Laptops and Notebooks are here to replace Desktops computers!

Yeah those (white) people said a lot of things.
Well nothing changed!
One question: What will program Tablet?

Screens will NOT be eliminated, Screens will get smarter also.

To END with, I must :-1: Mark for his disruptive way of thinking.

@mrgigi disruption often happens when companies find a more convenient replacement for existing products or process. It must be easier to use, cheaper more adaptable or all of the above. Eyeglasses don’t fit this spec. The world where everyone is Wearing AR glasses is far off. I see companies using it to enhance productivity for staff. I see students, researchers, people in the certain industry using it. But I don’t see two human beings engaged in a conversation with goggles in front of them to blur good old eye contact.

I totally agree with you…@mrgigi Mark’s innovation is cool, but i do not see it solving our real life problem, i would suggest the AR technology shud be channeled thru our entertainment zone for now, bcus i only see it in a human day to day life as catastrophic… Y shud wear a glass that tends to display non existing objects around my environment and use it as frequent as use i my traditional handheld devices… I cud only say the world would get mad with it… So Mark channel ur AR to for entertainment use…

I agree. @nextstep

Very valid points. I couldn’t agree more, with your postulations.

I am designing “flying cars”… Wheels are about to join the dinosaurs…

-Sarcasm