Duphlux: Phone Number Verification Alternative to OTPs

First and foremost, only shallow minded people throw insults in an attempt to make a convincing argument. You could have passed your points across without attempting to insult me by saying a lack education

Now to more important matters.

From the quote above, you basically insinuated that any activity performed for the purpose of bypassing a fee is fraudulent. Which means, any time someone makes a whatsapp call instead of making a regular call, it is fraud.[quote=“crescent, post:20, topic:12611”]
VOIP can be classified as ripping off revenue from a licensed telco, but they the telcos are also seen in offering voip as well which compliments one another… In both ways they profit. If you can not beat them you join them… its a win-win affair.
[/quote]

This statement does not hold water. Because there are several ways to make a VOIP call without going through a given telco. For example I could connect my phone with a Glo sim on it to a hotspot which has my MTN sim and then make a whatsapp call through the wifi connection. Going by your argument, Glo does not benefit from that call. Does it mean that I have committed fraud against Glo ??

But if you say its only fraud if the call is routed via Glo and Glo doesnt make any revenue from that call then maybe your arguement will hold a some water, but its still not fraud because in several countries mobile phone call is not charged by the minute. for example, I pay a fixed amount every month for my mobile access. It doesnt matter if I use just one minute or 10 hours of call time in a given month. So for this scenario, how is that fraud??

Lastly, because the govt/companies restricts or bans something doesn’t make it fraudulent to do such a thing… Its just illegal … but not necessarily fraudulent.

Do you have a citation for this claim?

@easibor it does not hold water because, you are jumping fence. CallBack service is a calculated attempt to bypassing a legitimate and licensed local telco efforts which hurts revenue and like I said its a crime in many countries and even in Nigeria. He who have ear let his hear.

Okay, since that’s not a citation, I’ll take it you have no evidence to back up your claim

Which citation are you looking for? Thats the problem with Nigerians…
Legal status of callback.
Many countries have banned callback services, on the grounds that they are not licensed or regulated by their governments, and deprive telephone companies in many developing countries of revenue from international calls.

Other countries have sought to use technical means to prevent callback, by blocking the inbound and outbound calls made to and from DID numbers, or by disabling touch tone dialing. However, this is also overcome by the use of speed dial numbers, while others use these services by triggering callback via the Internet or SMS.

The use of callback in most developed countries has declined, owing to the liberalization of telecommunication services, which allow more direct access to low-cost international calls, without the need for a time-consuming process like callback.

If you are looking for a problem, I suggest you look at a mirror. A good education shapes you to back your claims with evidence. Without it, you may end up with an aimless rant.

The crescent chap made a very specific claim i.e. that callbacks are what he termed “telecoms fraud”, which he later called a “crime in many countries and even in Nigeria”.

Since criminal acts are usually gazetted in some form of statue book, surely either of you can support your claim (which I concede may be legitimate) with evidence. Save the ad hominem for your clique on Nairaland.

Learn from the above!!!

@techwizard @crescent Duphlux isn’t based on callbacks. Please be sure of your points before you raise them. Read this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Callback_(telecommunications).

People can talk sha… flashing na crime… ok ok… hunger never wire ya head. … Nigeria

Although MTN operates in over 20 countries, One-third of its revenues come from Nigeria, where it holds about 35% market share.

And you are saying to a guy who is trying to make it click… that flashing is a crime…

Is unsolicited ring tone deduction a crime or fraud?.. I called etisalat 2 weeks ago, and I asked them how come the 2k i loaded flew into the sky… they said for the past 1year… I have been paying for some unsolicited , UNSUBSCRIBED messages… and my money have been wiping…

Bros… are you sure it’s not the telco that are committing crimes against us…

The two gentlemen @crescent and @techwizard have done justice to this thread. flashing a number with intent to get called back is a callback service and its illegal.
If you dont want to hear the word illegal or fraud, then I would rather say, its an intent to steal.
Telco will block your access number after series of flashes. If its a good practice why are they blocking it?
Lets be straightforward here and give a clean advice to a start up to innovate in something that will stand the test of time.

Is it just me that do not understand what callback is or its you people that just refuse to read what is written properly.

Here is an excerpt from the second paragraph of the wikipeda link shared above

In order to use a callback service, a subscriber is allocated a unique number in, for example, the US, which must first be dialled in order to trigger a return call.

Also here is what katun wrote…[quote=“katun, post:30, topic:12611”]
intent to get called back is a callback service and its illegal.
[/quote]

For me, what I see is that for it to be considered callback, there must be an intent to trigger a return call.

In the OP’s post, you are not calling the number to trigger a return call. Infact you are not expecting a callback

So if you are not expecting a call back how is it callback?

The intent in this case is clear, “verify that this number belongs to me” which is completely different from “call me back”

@easibor comrades in arms

@katun what a well said phrase. comrades in arms indeed
Why would you flash tens and thousands of new users without paying a cent to complete your aim?. Call like a pro… Google will call you live to verify your phone…all through the seconds you spend listening to the code and en trying same, Google pays the telco who terminate such calls… both parties benefited. Indirectly flashing thousands of users is a " monkey dey work baboon dey chop style"

First off all the app receives flashes and does not flash anyone

Because Google does it, does not mean everyone must do it. Every business must choose what is most profitable for them

This is what disruption is all about… Its about cutting out the middle man and achieving the same result at little or no cost. The mentality that everyone must chop is just old school… Technology is all about leveraging on existing infrastructure to reduce or eliminate cost.

Leave matter for mathias…jare

@easibor if google goes live with this concept , we wont be having this conversation, instead it will be accolades :slight_smile: , am not surprised. i still don"t know why people choose not to read the wiki page or any page btw.

duphlux has built a solution to a problem developers in Nigeria has been facing as regards OTP , no thanks to DND from NCC ( not that i support spam sms. i totally dislike unsolisited sms or calls), i had to remove phone number signup from the app am working because i don"t want my users waiting forever for verification …evaluating duphlux, i just might add it. nice work @mezez +Team.

whoever wants to condemn this solution should provide a better one.

All I see from the naysayers here​ is envy.
PhD syndrome live and in full effect.
You can love foreign innovators, but hate your brother who innovates locally - because Nigeria?

I created something like this in 2015 but didn’t release it because I couldn’t get Nigerian numbers virtually from Twilio or Callbase.

@easibor @lifted @doctorfox thanks guys.

As a developer who wants to integrate this to my app or webapp, how would I do that since its your app receiving the flashes?
Also If buying toll free numbers is what you would do in the long run, why not do it now and use IVR, ie a call is received and the OTP is voiced out to the user or a code OTP is generated and the user inputs it back on the IVR. My opinion, having user intention other than flashing makes me more reasurred of the verified user. I don’t imagine building a service that requires me to actually know my user, e.g a FinTech solution and all I need to verify a user number is a miss call.
All and all good twist though for this solution … I know it would have its use cases. .just tweak it a little bit.
Cheers!

@ndjohn the libraries for integration are ready.

Simply visit github.com/duphlux for all the available libraries.

Thanks for your suggestions as well